Category Archives: New Postcard

Beeston, Beds

These two photographs of the Great North Road at Beeston are from a local magazine in 1959. The improvement in the lower picture is more likely to be 1930s, as when works started again in the 1950s, dualling would have been the norm?

Tall Poles at Colsterworth

Colsterworth. The card is not dated or postmarked. Robust ‘H’ poles, about as wide-spaced as the uprights could be without encroaching into the carriageway. And that looks to be an early cross-roads traffic sign, but no blacktop. Sometime after 1900 and before the Great War?

Colsterworth #3

Three Sisters

The Pass of Glencoe and the Three Sisters. Spectacular scenery, but in the summer you have to drive past strategically located bagpipers at the roadside ‘welcoming you to Scotland’. A peer at online mapping and satellite imagery indicates that the ‘old road’ up on the ledge still exists. There are miles and miles of sections of ‘old road’ braiding with the new, visible from Tyndrum to Fort William and beyond. Does anyone use this for recreational travel?

Pass of Glencoe #5

More Markham

Markham Moor Inn on the Great North Road. This is the third postcard of the inn in the gallery on this website. The stretch of the GNR that runs south from Doncaster via Blyth, Retford, Markham Moor, Tuxford, and Carlton, to Newark is the early 1960s ‘improved’ GNR, almost frozen in time when the Doncaster bypass and the Elkesley link opened. Superb.

Markham Moor #3

Hook Moor, Aberford

This is a press or agency photograph original of the tea van at the crossroads of the Great North Road and the Towton to Garforth Road, at Hook Moor, probably before the Aberford Bypass opened in 1963. No ghastly ‘services’ with blaring ‘music’ and ‘space invaders’.

Hook Moor

This below is the junction in March 2016. The A1(M) is about 100 yards along the Towton road to the right (the road goes under the motorway), and the junction is slightly staggered against south-north traffic going across.

Hook Moor 2016

Chequers, Mate.

This website does not contain much that deals directly with the Scottish cattle droving trade (but see the paper on the Old Scotch Road), and that is something to be addressed in time. This postcard is postmarked 1908 and the chequer-board inn sign is still in place. The relationship between the inn / alehouse name ‘Chequers’ and the droving trade seems not to have been explained. Bonser sets it up in his ‘The Drovers‘, but Chequers as an inn / house / farm name does seem to relate to roads with an ancient origin, of the right location and character to have been used by the droving trade. Anyway, this one is up on Hambleton Street in the old North Riding, and you can find an article in Byway and Bridleway no. 3 of 1981, and a paper in the section on the Great North Road. This is the route the English army took to Flodden in 1513. Maybe there was an alehouse here even then? Why not … maybe the Earl of Surrey dropped in for a Campari and soda?

The Chequers Inn Hambleton Street